Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summer Squash

When I lived down south, summer or yellow crookneck squash was commonly served. Around here, it's mostly only gardeners who do much with summer squash. But I saw some at the farmer;s market today, and dragged out this old recipe, which I call Mrs. Rush's Squash Souffle, because I learned it from a lady named Mrs. Rush in Auburn, Alabama when I lived there. My husband really liked it, and my daughter, who thought she hated yellow squash, declared it good. I agree.


Mrs. Rush's Squash Souffle

4 cups (1 lb.) yellow squash cut into small pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped (maybe a cup?)
1 cup fresh white bread, torn into small pieces
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 egg beaten
3 T. whole milk or evaporated milk or half-and-half cream. (use nonfat at your own risk)
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
2 tsp. bacon fat (saved from previous bacon cooking. or cook bacon to have on the side, if you don't have any bacon fat. Or maybe cook 2 strips of bacon and crumble them in?)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Cook squash in lightly salted boiling water till tender. Drain out well in a colander. Put squash in a 2 qt. casserole dish and mash with a fork. Add uncooked onions and all other ingredients and stir well. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. It doesn't puff up like a souffle, but it does firm up and brown nicely. Makes 3-4 servings (about 4 cups total.)

No comments:

Post a Comment